The sign of the Spade and Distaff was designed by Henry Turner Bailey at the request of Clara Ford, National President for the 16th Annual Meeting in Detroit, Michigan in 1930.
The Spade and Distaff are the accepted tools of gardening and spinning, the most difficult form of needlework. The shield has always been a symbol of self-defense and protection. The colors green, white and black symbolize growing and fruiting of life, honesty and seriousness of purpose.
The logo of our organization served as an endorsement of roadside stands in rural America. Much like the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval of today, patrons were assured quality products made by local residents for a fair market price at any stand that displayed this sign. The practice was abandoned in the early 1930’s.