My name is Kathy Maestas of Techkat Web Services and I’ve been your webmaster for the past couple of years. I want to take this opportunity at the Holidays to thank you for the opportunity of serving your excellent organization. It has been a joy to redesign your site and “meet” some of your members.
I also want to thank you for including me in the distribution of the Farm & Garden Magazine. It is lovely and I always enjoy reading up on what the branches are doing and seeing who has won an award. I’m starting to feel like I know many of you. The recipes, stories and poems are fun as well.
I noticed in the last issue of Farm & Garden that you are looking for someone from within the membership to take over the web site. I thought it would be appropriate for me to give a bit more detail about the technical requirements for working on the site for anyone who is interested in taking over the position.
The following are the basic skills that are required to maintain the site:
- Ability to read and manipulate basic HTML code
- Ability to read and write CSS code
- Understanding of the use of templates
- Understanding of FTP and the ability to transfer files from your local computer to the web server
- Familiarity with the administrative functions of WordPress including regular software updates as they are released, updates to and configuration of the plugins and monitoring and deleting comment spam
- Familiarity with AWeber email list management software (this is how the blog updates get automatically emailed to the subscribed members)
I wish everyone a beautiful and happy holiday season and a prosperous New Year.
Comment by Susan Yeager
December 29, 2009 @ 1:10 pmHello Kathy,
Thank you for this additional information. We appreciate all the work you have done.
Is it possible for our branch to be connected to this website? We are currently not using any web connection.
Is it possible to post photographs to this site from our joint meetings? We have a number to share.
Susan R. Yeager.
Comment by Webmaster
December 31, 2009 @ 2:20 am
Hi Susan,Thank you for your reply.
I’m not totally sure what you mean by “be connected to this website” if your branch does not currently have any web connection, but I think the answer to your question is “yes”. If your branch does not currently have a web site we could add a Category to this blog for your branch and your news and images could be posted there. Then, to direct people to your part of this blog you’d direct them to https://wnfga.orgblog/your_branch_name. Is that what you had in mind?